RSS Become a Fan

December 2010
November 2010
October 2010

powered by

RockMeadow Equestrian Center Blog

Thoughts from the Susie Hutchison Clinic

During our recent Susan Hutchison Clinic, the weekend of November 27th and 28th, some of my riding students, attending as auditors, took some notes.

I've really enjoyed reading these notes, and was pretty thrilled at how closely everyone paid attention and really did some good learning.  Here are the notes from the clinic, as recorded by some of  RockMeadow Riding Schools Students!

• Find your line, and ride your line.

• You can do it, I know you can!

• Steer horse well enough that horse knows where we want it to jump!

• Have enough speed so that the horse "can" jump.

• Make sure your hands stay steady and are not jittery, like scribbling on a piece of paper, you want your hands to make a steady line on the paper.

• Always keep you hand close enough together, so when your thumbs turn in they touch, which is the width of the horses' mouth.

• A horse thinks slower than we do, so you have to give them reaction time.

• if you can get your horse to do something you're asking for, then quit, do something else, then come back and do it again.

• You can't make your horse do anything that they don't want to do!

• The hardest part of riding is doing nothing.

• Learn from your mistakes and don't keep repeating them.

• Ride each stride

• Don't go faster than you have a balanced horse for.

• All the time you are riding, put your mind at the back of your horse.

• Know where the hindquarters are.

• You can only ride as well as you can guide and steer.

• Make one thing as good as you can.

• Get a clock in your head, and know what 12 miles per hour feels like.

• The rein tension should never be greater than the horses' resistance.

• If you close the door before you get to it, your horse will never walk through it.

Excellent work taking notes.  Susie is a wonderful teacher and really taught all of us so much.

Hope you all will join in on the coversation!  Any thoughts about any of the "Susi-izms" above?

13 Comments to Thoughts from the Susie Hutchison Clinic :

Comments RSS
Hunter's Run on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 1:03 PM
Thanks for posting! We had a great experience with the clinic and look forward to many more to come! Susie did an excellent job working with our wide variety of experience levels and has given us a lot of motivation to work even harder this off season. Thanks again for hosting, Deb! Your friends at Hunter's Run Eq. Center

vegetable juicer on Monday, August 26, 2013 7:05 PM
If truth to be told prosperous content and exceedingly valuable information. I got it my result from here. I exceedingly urge his/her workings with the positive informative information. Thanks a lot…!!

Eileen on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 3:19 PM
I only watched the first day's instruction, but the importance of flat work was wonderfully emphasized in the clinic. Important skills included: turn on the haunches, turn on the forehand, shoulder-in, haunches-in, collection and extension, keeping your body at, or behind, center when appropriate . . . it was wonderful to see the natural progression from flat work to jumping.

Deb Ritchie on Thursday, December 16, 2010 7:01 PM
I'm so glad that you visited RockMeadow's blog and left comments! Thank you Hunter's Run Equestrian Center for attending the clinic. It was really a pleasure watching you ride, and nice to visit with you too! Thank you Eileen for auditing. I've talked to Susan about coming back again next year. We're looking into an earlier November date. Hopefully, we'll get moved off the Turkey Day weekend!

http://www.mcitpserver2013.com on Thursday, June 27, 2013 10:05 PM

acne scars on Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:31 PM
I am sure that the information you shared through your post is useful for people. I am impressed with the way of writing. It kept connected me all the time. Keep up the good work.

dash diet for blood pressures on Monday, August 12, 2013 2:20 AM
Some issues are really left to be undone. Although, I don't quite understand what's going around with the post, I just red it. And nothing came into my mind. !!

click here to know more on Monday, August 12, 2013 2:22 AM
Informative article! Health is wealth so we should take care of our health. I'm very conscious of my health. I eat healthy food and do exercise to keep my health fit. Thanks for this essential allocation. !!

click here for more informations on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:28 AM
If you follow a few simple steps, you will find that the essay almost writes itself. You will be responsible only for supplying ideas, which are the important part of the essay anyway. !!

motor accidents compensation attorney on Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:59 PM
I am sure individuals like me will find your blog to be of great help. I will suggest it to my friends.Thanks.

how to maintain fitness on Friday, November 29, 2013 10:16 PM
Thank you for posting the great content…I was looking for something like this…I found it quiet interesting, hopefully you will keep posting such blogs….Keep sharing !!

Dennis on Wednesday, January 01, 2014 10:23 PM
That was good post.

shopping in quanzhou china on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 9:52 PM
Some 8.6 percent of e-commerce exchange in China were finished around mobile phones as of a finish of this year’s second quarter. On Singles Day, a Chinese holiday in mid-November that’s a internal turn on Valentine’s Day and the biggest online selling day of a year , 15.3 percent of all exchange were conducted on mobile devices.